Agra screams of Taj Mahal’s splendor, but there is so much more to explore in the city where Mughals once rose to their majestic statures. There are history rich cultural heritage, lip-smacking food and cheap street shopping that you will find here in Agra.
Before you can come to Agra make sure you have made hotel reservations. Look up for Agra budget hotel like Bhawna Palace and make a reservation. There are plenty of apps and websites that let you compare prices before you go ahead with the booking. Since you will have many options, you should pick one wisely and consider the location, ratings, and reviews. On arriving at Agra, you can take a taxi or an auto rickshaw to your hotel.
Here is what you can do in Agra
- Unquestionably the Taj Mahal is a stunning piece of historical architecture here, and you can just not proceed without admiring its exquisiteness. There is a small entry fee which you need to pay to witness its beauty closely. You are prohibited from using smartphones and video cameras inside so if you are someone who is keen on capturing its magnificence then carry a good still camera.
- Head over to Mehtab Bagh just before the sun can set and you can see the beauty of Taj Mahal from across the Yamuna. The Mehtab Bagh was built much before Taj Mahal was constructed. Although the garden doesn’t have anything left the view of Taj Mahal from here is splendid.
- There are other historical buildings that are worth seeing in Agra. You must visit the Agra Fort, Tomb of Akbar, Tomb of Itimad Ud Daulah, Gyarah Sidhi, Chini ka Rauza, Jahangir Palace, Mehman Khana and many more. You must also visit Fatehpur Sikri which is just about an hour’s journey from the main city of Agra. Some of the important historical places to see here are the Buland Darwaza, Jama Masjid, Jodha Bai’s Palace, Tomb of Salim Chishti, Birbal’s House, Panch Mahal and more.
- You will find small lanes in the old city of Agra, and every lane thrives with small stalls and markets. The old Agra is where you actually see the colorful and vibrant culture of Agra. The Sabji Mandi is where you will find local hawkers shrieking to sell fresh vegetables at cheap wholesale prices. Sadar Bazar is where you will find cheap genuine leather products. The Rawatpara market is where you will find yourself digging into spices of different kinds. Kinari Bazaar is the place to pick beautiful zardozi embroidery. Special metal threads of silver and gold are used in this type of embroidery.
- The National Chambal Safari is an amazing place to watch different species of birds, turtles, and It is about 77 km from Agra and is a refreshing alternative for those who are looking forward to a change from the city noise.
- You cannot miss to eat the famous ‘Agra Petha’. Petha is a sweet dessert which is made from ash gourd. The Panchhi Petha is one of the leading stores where you will find different flavors of petha.
- The streets of Agra are also famous for their Mughlai cuisine. The Agra Chat House serves amazing Bhallas which is both sweet and spicy. Tandoori chicken has an entirely different taste here in Agra, then there is shawarma which you are sure to ask for another, ask for bedai when you are about to have breakfast – this is nothing but kachori and is served with potato curry. You cannot miss out on the jalebi which is tastiest at Deviram Sweets, Pratap Pura.
Agra has much more than all this and is best experienced when one visits the city. Book one of the best budget hotels in Agra so you can relish your stay and enjoy your vacation here in Agra.